Mac ‘n “Cheese” with Broccoli
I’ve been craving Mac ‘n “Cheese” for a while, but I wanted something different. So I added broccoli.
8 oz macaroni pasta
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
4 oz shredded vegan cheese (your favorite)
cayenne pepper (to taste)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp dried yellow mustard powder
1 cup water
1 tbsp non-hydrogenated vegan margarine, melted
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
3. Saute garlic for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Stir in the broccoli and set aside.
4. Blend nutritional yeast, salt, whole wheat flour, garlic powder, mustard powder, margarine and water until smooth.
5. Place sauce in small saucepan and cook low-medium heat until sauce thickens. Do not boil. Stir frequently.
6. Combine bread crumbs and vegan cheese. Set aside.
7. Drain pasta and place in baking dish. Stir in broccoli and cheese sauce. Top with cheese mixture and cayene pepper.
8. Bake covered for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove cover and broil until cheese is a bit golden. Serve immediately.
Jose and I were starving by the time dinner was ready. Today was a special day for us. It was Jose’s first day at his new job !