Home > Appetizers, Sides & Snacks, Recipes > Mexican Lettuce Wraps

Mexican Lettuce Wraps

Mexican Lettuce Wraps, originally uploaded by speedvegan.

This is a variation of my awesome salsa. I felt like having lettuce wraps with a Mexican kick. I hope you enjoy these !

1 (15oz) can black beans
1 (15oz) can corn kernels
1 english cucumber, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
salt and fresh ground pepper
1 head iceberg lettuce

For the sauce:
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lime juice

1. Drain black beans and corn. Place in large bowl and mix in cucumber and tomato.

2. In small bowl, mix together all sauce ingredients.

3. Pour sauce into bowl of veggies. Mix in cilantro. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

4. Place spoonfuls of salsa in iceberg lettuce leaves. Wrap and serve.

You can top these with sour cream if you want. Yum !

About these ads
  1. July 27, 2006 at 21:45 | #1

Thank you! I’ve been wanting to make paella ever since I first tried it in Spain. I really like that you used quinoa. I’ll be making this soon.

2. K
    July 28, 2006 at 15:32 | #2

Beer, huh? Interesting! I have not made paella before. This looks terrific. I am a fan of peas, and i keep a bag of sweeeeeeeeeeet frozen Trader Joe’s peas in my freezer. I would do what you did!

How are you feeling, Liz?! Hope you are well. Sounds like things are going well for you. YAY!

3. July 28, 2006 at 21:15 | #3

Your recipes usually are unconventional and look simple enough to make. This is one I have to go back to, once I finally convince myself to get that saffron.

Hope you’re feeling much better.

4. liz
    July 29, 2006 at 11:30 | #4

Melissa: i LOVE paella. fortunately, there are a few restaurants down here that make vegetarian/vegan paella. i wanted to use quinoa for the protein and it came out better than i expected. let me know if you try it.

K: beer is my mom’s secret ingredient. i’ve now told the entire world ! i’m feeling better but the knee still bothers me a lot. i picked up my new bike yesterday and will be posting pictures of it soon. thanks !

Kaivegan: you should definitely get saffron ! it’s delicious even if you’re just making plain rice. it adds so much flavor ! and yes, i am feeling much better. thanks !

5. July 30, 2006 at 16:21 | #5

That looks yummy! I’ll have to make it for my boyfriend. Does it matter if you use light or dark beer? Or was light beer referring to diet beer?

6. July 30, 2006 at 18:51 | #6

This looks good. I’ve never made paella before but I’ll have to try it, thanks for posting the recipe.

7. liz
    July 31, 2006 at 09:53 | #7

Mary: i meant light as in not dark and certainly not diet ! sorry about the confusion.

Jessiegirl: i love paella so i hope you enjoy this as well.

8. August 1, 2006 at 21:41 | #8

how are you feeling? better?

9. orangina
    August 3, 2006 at 15:50 | #9

A new bike!!! How exciting :) I can’t wait to see pics. I hope you’re doing well.

10. September 6, 2006 at 20:36 | #10

Hey Liz! I JUST bought some quinoa and I went running to your website for a recipe! Just my luck that it was your last posting. I can’t wait to get it started! It’s my first time with quinoa so I’m excited! Thanks for the info. I hope you’re doing well. Talk to you later!!

-Elizabeth