I was recently exchanging ideas with some friends in a vegetarian forum. One of the members wanted to make vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage. I started thinking about how much I loved cabbage rolls as a little girl – not so much because I was a fan of meat, but because I got to help my grandma make them. I decided to make a vegan version of my grandmother’s dish tonight.
1 head cabbage
1 cup textured soy protein
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
salt (to taste)
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Parboil the cabbage for 10-15 minutes.
3. Place cabbage in colander. Allow it to cool completely.
4. In the meantime, mix rice, textured soy protein and spices in a medium bowl and set aside.
5. When cabbage is cool, remove all the leaves.
6. Place a small amount (1 or 2 tbsp) of the rice mixture in the center of each leaf and roll to keep the mixture inside. Place in a large baking dish.
7. Mix water and tomato paste. Pour over rolls. Bake for 30 minutes.
They didn’t turn out exactly like my grandmother’s, but I guess that is a good thing since no baby sheep were hurt in the process !