Home > Recipes, Sandwiches & Wraps > Hummus Pitadilla

Hummus Pitadilla

Hummus Pitadilla, originally uploaded by speedvegan.

Last night’s dinner was just too delicious to leave out, so I took a picture of the leftovers I had for lunch. This recipe was inspired by Melissa’s Hummus Tortilla Pizza which I could not stop thinking about after reading her post ! I created something more like a Quesadilla, without the cheese of course !

4 large whole wheat pitas
3 summer squash, cut into small cubes
1 red pepper, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dried dill
salt and pepper (to taste)

Hummus:
1 (14oz) can chickpeas
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
juice of 1 large lemon
6 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
salt and pepper (to taste)

1. To make the veggies, place olive oil, lemon juice and dill in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Place summer squash and pepper in an oven-safe dish. Pour dill sauce over veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes at 450 degrees.

2. To make the hummus, drain chickpeas and reserve the liquid. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend, adding chickpea water as needed, until smooth or desired consistency. Set aside.

3. When veggies are done, warm pitas in the oven for a minute. Carve the pitas open and add a layer of hummus to each side. Add some of the veggies in the middle and cover. Slice into 4 pieces and serve.

This was OH SO GOOD ! Thanks for the idea Melissa ! I was in heaven.

About these ads
  1. July 13, 2006 at 22:32

Whoa! That looks and sounds so amazing. Thanks for the love…but you’re the star! I wish I had your creativity in the kitchen…I’m totally reliant on recipes :) I’ll be making yours soon.

2. K
    July 14, 2006 at 01:12

No wonder your boyfriend was in heaven (I mean besides havin’ a cool gal like you for his sweetie)… this sounds unbelievable! YUMMERS!

How are you feeling today? I am thinkin’ of you and hoping you continue to heal quickly day by day!

3. liz
    July 14, 2006 at 11:26

Melissa: thanks !! i follow recipes too, but it’s nice to experiment with different flavors/spices sometimes. if it sucks, you don’t have to tell anyone ;-)

K: thank you so much for your good wishes. you’re so sweet ! overall, i am feeling well. i am going to post about my visit with the sports medicine doctor later today !

4. July 23, 2006 at 23:50

Man I just love reading your page! I get so many ideas for new foods. As you know I have pretty bad food allergies so these recipes work really well for me! Awesome! Keep ‘em comin’!

–Elizabeth

5. August 20, 2006 at 18:09

This looks so delicous! I’ll have to save this one in my file for when I finally get home! It would be the perfect home-coming meal.

6. liz
    August 21, 2006 at 14:42

Hannah: hi ! welcome back ! i hope you are back home soon. i’ve missed your posts. :-)

1. No trackbacks yet.