Quinoa Vegetable Paella
My mother would argue that the words “quick” and “paella” don’t belong together, but I don’t have nearly as much “free” time as she does so I decided to veganize and simplify one of her best recipes.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 vidalia onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 cloves or garlic, minced
1/4 tsp paprika
1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup light beer or dry white wine
salt and pepper (to taste)
1. In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion and bell peppers. Cook for 4-6 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the garlic, paprika, and saffron. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
4. Stir in the quinoa, stock and beer or wine and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed.
6. To serve, decorate with lemon wedges.
As you can see in the picture, I added a can of peas and carrots at the very end. I don’t recommend this. If you like peas as much as I do, add a cup of frozen ones 5 minutes before the quinoa is done. Also, feel free to sub the beer for water or more stock to make the recipe gluten-free.