Peanut Butter Crunch French Toast
when we were in Atlanta, Geoff had peanut butter french toast for brunch one morning. it looked delicious, but i couldn’t try it because it was “NOT vegan.” i made a mental note to make a vegan version of it once we were back home. i finally got around to it this weekend.
12 thick slices of whole grain bread
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter, at room temperature
1 cup soy milk
1/4 cup chickpea flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup rolled oats
4 tbsp non-hydrogenated margarine
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease baking sheet and set aside.
2. smear a generous amount of peanut butter on 6 of the bread slices. cover with the remaining slices.
3. combine soy milk, chickpea flour, cornstarch and cinnamon in a pie plate. place the rolled oats in another plate.
4. melt 2 tbsp margarine in a large skillet over medium heat.
5. soak the peanut butter sandwiches in the soy milk mixture, then dredge in the rolled oats, pressing to help them adhere.
6. cook sandwiches in the skillet until each side is golden brown. use remaining margarine as needed.
7. transfer sandwiches to baking sheet. cook for about 10 minutes. serve immediately with maple syrup.
i liked it, but it was absolutely TOO rich for me. i struggled to finish one piece.