Geoff is from New Zealand. He loves scones. I panicked when I found out because I never had a non-vegan scone and my attempts at making vegan ones have been pathetic (at best). After a successful shot at Isa’s orange scones, I decided to make some with my all time favorite spice. I’ve made these a few times and this morning Geoff made a perfect batch of them.
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp grated lemon peel
3/4 cup chilled non-hydrogenated vegan margarine, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp soy creamer
2/3 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Blend flour, sugar, baking powder and lemon peel in a food processor.
3. Add margarine and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Make well in center and add 3/4 cup soy cream. Combine until just moist. Mix in the ginger.
5. Transfer dough to floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Divide dough in half and pat each portion into 3/4-inch-thick rounds. Cut each round into 6 wedges and transfer to greased baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Brush tops with remaining 2 tbsp soy creamer.
6. Bake for about 18 minutes or until light brown.