Kona, knitting and vegan food
1. Last week was the company holiday party. You may have read my tainted thoughts on it. Well, I’m here to say I was pleasantly surprised. One of my co-workers, who made a platter of portabello-goat cheese sandwiches on homemade rosemary-olive-oil bread, brought in a special sans-cheese one for me. I was super stocked when I realized I’d have something other than baba ghanoush to eat. Another co-worker brought in a Whole Foods vegan German black forest cake. What ? Dessert too ? I was totally floored. Totally. It turned out to be a great party and everyone seemed to enjoy it.
2. Did you watch the 2010 Ironman World Championship recap on NBC this past weekend ? No ? Well, someone’s broken it up into 10 parts and uploaded it to YouTube. Here are the links:
- Part 01 – What ? No Chrissie ???
- Part 02 – Missing the swim cut-off hurts. A lot.
- Part 03 – “If you wanna be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40.” – Lew Hollander, Ironman
- Part 04 – Is it just me or is Macca a bit arrogant ?
- Part 05 – Ironmoms are Rockstars !!
- Part 06 – Even though I already know the winner, I’m rooting for Julie Dibens. :-)
- Part 07 – Mirinda Carfrae is one fast chick !
- Part 08 – The Energy Lab sounds like hell on earth.
- Part 09 – A bit of history repeating.
- Part 10 – The midnight crew.
My favorite definition of the race in this video is “one long, tedious conversation with yourself.” This can be said about any endurance event and I am sure it is especially true during an Ironman.
3. So what do triathletes do in the off season ? Well, I never learned how to knit, so this weekend I went to an arts and crafts store and got myself a starter kit. Here’s all I have to show after hours of pain and frustration:
All that pain and frustration aside, I actually enjoyed the bit of knitting I did this weekend, so I will continue to work on it. My goal is to eventually knit a scarf for my mom. Don’t expect this to turn into a knitting blog, though. I barely have time to read these days so this scarf project could take all of 2011. We shall see. :-)
4. The weather seems to be holding up, so we’re going camping ! Yay ! That means we’ll be opening presents on Friday morning. Got any Christmas vegan breakfast ideas ?
5. Speaking of food, I’ve been making apple pies all season. The latest one, which we finished last night, was SO yummy, but I’d like to try something new next week. I was thinking pecan pie. I found this recipe which looks promising. What do you think ? Have you tried any other good vegan pecan pie recipes ? If so, please share !